Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pumpkin Butternut Squash Soup

A neighbor brought by a butternut squash the other day. I went to pick up Tate at a friend's house, who was just finishing up roasting a butternut squash for soup. You can see where this is going.

I found this recipe, on Joy the Baker, for pumpkin-butternut squash. We grow sugar pumpkins in our garden and I had 2 cups of pureed pumpkin left over from last year in the freezer, so a soup was born!

Sadly, I did not get any shots of the soup in progress, which is a shame because it was really pretty. Swirls of cream in the orange pumpkin squash, with little bits of green from the onions. I substituted quite a few things - chicken broth in place of veggie, green onions in place of shallots, and I just kind of mixed it all together until the consistency came out how I wanted.

Afterwards, even while cleaning as I was going, the kitchen was a bit of a scene. A beautiful mess, really. David asked if it was all worth it - yes! Sometimes the cooking then consuming of something is worth it all.

I am the only eater of said soup - while I imagine Smith would like it if he tried it, he won't, and Tate is not a soup girl. David would not willingly eat butternut squash. So, more for me, and I will definitely make this again. Delicious.


1 comment:

Followers