Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ma Ingalls, revised

I want to be a homesteader. With air conditioning, not back in the Ingall's day necessarily. But this morning, I "put up" 6 pints of crushed tomatoes, to add to my 5 pints of tomato sauce that I put up a couple weeks ago, to add to my 8 cups of pumpkin puree, to add to my ice cubed frozen chopped basil and parsley, to add to my 3 freezer bags of sliced, roasted tomatoes, to add to my... well...that may be it.

I love this part of the garden - the eating fresh, the preparing for the winter (for luxury's sake, thankfully, not for necessity). I froze blueberries from pickings this summer; we ate all the peaches before I could do them. I think this all goes with my knitting lifestyle. I read something interesting about knitting yesterday - that knitters get that one small job/vote/task makes a difference, because that one stitch leads to another to another to another, until you have a hat or a scarf or a sweater. One little stitch/task/vote can go such a long way. Sorry, tangent.

If only this could be my full time job! Plus milking a goat and making goat cheese...although I admit, I find these things romantic, and the reality of having chickens and goats and a huge yard with a garden is quite likely very overwhelming.

Either way, this was my 2.5 hours this morning before anyone got up. See? I've got the early morning part of homesteading DOWN!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers